Sunday, July 26, 2009

TASTE OF TREMONT : The Foodie Chronicles




Every year, the restaurants in Tremont close Professor St. to showcase their take in street food, this time places like Bistro in Lincoln Park, Istanbul Café and and **** debuted with success, while old classics like Lolita -whom dissapoints me year after year-, Fat Cats, Ty Fun and Tremont Tap House kept their reputation as staples of this foodie street fest .
You can always count in LAGO to deliver something good and moderately priced, their tortellini pasta with bacon bits, green peas and cream sauce was for sure a nice surprise, the pasta was fluffy and well cooked -I dont like al dente-, the bacon bits were nicely salted and crisp even though they were navigating in a delicious sea of cream sauce, while the peas gave a nice body to the dish and added a nice touch of color , for 4 bucks, this was a pleasant surprise .
Now, TREMONT TAP HOUSE is my neighborhood favorite bar, the bartenders knows me -they even know my order by heart- , the food is always good, the portions are plentiful and the service is good without making me feel overwhelmed , but I have to be honest, their chorizo tacos with goat cheese and tomato relish were not a hit, at least on my palate ... I love this place so much, I was expecting something tasty, but I guess my expectations should stick to my regular weekly trips to TTH .
Other places worth mentioning were Grumpy's Cafe with their awesome southwest nachos -tortilla chips with cheese sauce, sour cream, multicolor beans and chorizo sauce- , Farentheit's Loaded Nachos -the plate that is a must EVERY YEAR- with thinly sliced potato with cheese fondue, scallions, sausage bits and sour cream-, Lincoln Park and their lamb sliders with spiced aoili , Wine 806 with their ridiculously low priced mini dishes : bruschetta with white beans and their crab and spinach dip, both priced at 2 bucks each ! ... and of course, I cant hardly wait for the new addition to the block: DANTE, wich is opening next month, they actually offered chocolate ice cream with honey drizzle and chocolate chunks .

No comments: