Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Foodie Chronicles , Part 3

WILD MANGO , Chic and tasty

I had checked this place online and from the menu and display of the whole concept , I thought it was a nice idea ; asian with a hint of western charm , but was I in for a surprise !
The asian theme is not overwhelming , its actually just the base of the whole picture , and from there , the whole idea goes to so many different places , classic yet modern , chic yet youthful.

The decor of the place is flawless: caramel and chocolate color strips handsomely blended in the walls , comfty burgundy chairs complemented by dark wood tables , the omnipresent yet delicate touch of flowers and the sophisticated plates , the padded private booths that gives a sense of romantic intimacy , yet opens through a curtain to the dining rooms -it has around 5 small dinning rooms , tastefully separated , to give a sense of warmness and exquisite charm-, the calm and soft instrumental music and the always attentive staff , it made the whole experience , a experience I wanted to share so bad ! special mention to the eclectic menues , big and detailed list of wine , cocktails and international beers .

First , we were greeted by a young and cute hostess who took us to our table , then in within seconds our server arrived and introduced herself to us , her cute mexican accent was an icebreaker and from the first moment I knew she will take good care of us .
Our first taste of Wild Mango was the free amuse bouche , a puffy pastry topped with white truffle cream and chives , it practically melted on my mouth and left a delicate after taste that was enhanced by the dinner rolls , puffy and savory bread rolls with scallions and peanuts, the crusty exterior of this mini surprises , hold a very airy and light interior , and the adition of crushed peanuts , it gave a nice texture to the whole idea of bread rolls .

For our appetizers , our served suggested the pot stickers, but to be honest , I had my eyes on the japanese baked eggplant and I wasnt dissapointed ; delicate slices of eggplant with roasted tomato , tasty melted mozzarella cheese and that citric spicy sauce . I was blown away by the simplicity of this dish, it hit all the right notes , letting every single ingredient shine and claim their place on my palate , the only bad thing about it , is that I had to share it with my companion ! we then proceed to share the Pepsi Shrimp , wich was not as good as the eggplant , it was actually modest in comparison , pepsi cola batered shrimp served with a tarty cucumber salad and crispy soba noddles , it was just a shy dish , at it worst , unmemorable , but not bad .For my drink order , I had an orange martini , given that I do not drink that much , I was surprised when this cocktail came up and was too strong , I am sure others can enjoy it , I particularly apreciate the bartender's good will , but I requested more orange juice in order to really enjoy it!

Then , my companion ordered the 5 spices roasted duck , wich was heaven on a plate , crispy on the outside , moist and tender in the inside duck breast topped with a teriyaky sauce , sided with creamy mashed sweet potato and roasted eggplant salad , the presentation was modest , but the flavors were outstanding !
I had the chicken trio , wich was a melt-on-your-mouth oven roasted drumstick with a soy reduction sauce , served with potato puree , was this a great beggining?? absolutely , the airy puree complemented the boldness of the flavor and the texture of the tender drumstick , then I had the roasted chicken breast with ginger-scallion pesto seating on just perfect white rice , to be honest , this was kind of boring and uninspired , you have a problem when rice overshine chicken ! but one against one , I better be surprised with the third chicken dish , wich was chicken cheesecake , tender chicken mixed with asian pesto and mozzarella cheese , topped with roasted tomatoes and what I called "lego" sweet potato fries -for the resemblance of the iconic toy- , this dish was a great end ... the cake was tasty , well executed and enjoyable , the roasted tomato was perfectly juicy and naturally tarty , and OMG , those lego fries were so addictive ! I practically had to fight with my companion for the last one left on my plate , so 2 out of 3 its not that bad after all .

The end : the end was the perfect way to finish a great meal , we ordered the triangle chocolate cake , that was easily one pound of cake , with strawberry sauce and berries , the sexy dessert was more than I expected , the rich overpowering cocoa was like a overdose to me , I was in chocolate heaven ! then , our lovely server , actually gave us a mini taste of tiramisu , was that a great dessert or what? moist and tasty , decadent then delicate , it was an extremely nice battle of textures , with exquisite caramel bubbles and dark chocolate sauce , I actually feel in love with tiramisu again !

Overall , I think the whole experience was great ,the sweetest of all details , came when the bill arrived , I was so surprised , because I was expecting something close to the 100dlls , was I in for a surprise ? yes , with a 30% tip , our bill was still under 90 bucks !
With the current situation of our economy , I can really apreciate going to a fancy place , without breaking my bank account , and to be honest , Wild Mango made me feel cosmopolitan , without making me feel cheap , and that ... is a great thing after all ! .

No comments: