Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Foodie Chronicles: Part 2

PALADAR LATIN KITCHEN & RUM BAR

I had been trying to go to this place forever, actually since before it opened, I was excited to get to eat at a Nuevo Latino restaurant and to be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed .
First, my companion and I shared two apettizers: the mariquitas ; a blend of different chips, corn, malanga, yucca and plantain chips sided with pico de gallo -the cucumber in this cold chopped sauce was a nice surprise- and mango chimichurri, wich was a big NO NO, I hate when people just use a latinamerican dish name, attach it to something and think that makes it latin. This mango chimichurri was a hot tranny mess, it looked more like spiced mango "baby food" than a proper sauce, I was so excited when I ordered, since I thought the traditional chimichurri was updated with ripe, savory mango, but no ... it was not.
The second apettizer was a pleasant dish: crab and mango croquettes with key-lime mustard and mango slaw, this was just right on, the citrusy flavor of the dressing with the tarty hint of the mango slaw , made the mellow and sweet corn of the croquettes shine , the sexy and subtle fishy flavor of the crab meat and all the ingredients described below, made for the most memorable plate of the night.
Next , my companion ordered the Plantain wrapped pork tenderloin sided with chorizo potato hash and garlic-cilantro pesto , wich was tender , juicy and nicely done .
I had the special, wich was beef shoulder smoked and braised served with coconut rice , black beans , key lime-mustard and what appeared to be a REAL chimichurri: a blend of cilantro , fresh parsley , rosemary and garlic , drowned in citric olive oil , I was in heaven and at my eyes , Paladar redeem itself and proved that can surprise me a bit more, the "grilled" flour tortillas on the side were a nice touch too .
Even though we arrived close to 6pm , the place was already bustling with a mix of young suburbanites , the older upper middle class crowd , , the occasional bitchy rich lady and the up and coming young yuppies looking for a place to see and be seen, by 7:30 the place was packed ... on a tuesday nite !!! that usually means something , good vibe .
The service was right on withouth being overwhelming , despite the fact that our server look like he was 14yo , he was very nice and always was on time to deliver chips and refills on drinks , but what was the nicer of all surprises , was that the manager of the restaurant actually came to our table and discussed what we had , we made sure that we explained that we were happy with the place , and he even invited us to Paladar's restaurant sister , Boulevard Blue . That was the cherry on my cake , who doesnt enjoy a bit of ass-kissing when going out , from the restaurant management staff ?
Like Elaine Ciccora -a well known food critic- said , "when going out , you want to be pampered , any restaurant can give you good food , but the restaurant that give you good food and good service , is a place where you will keep going and going". I think Paladar has to work a little more in the food field , but service was a touchdown .

No comments: