Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Foodie Chronicles : Part 1

TREMON TAP HOUSE (Monday Nite)

So I had dinner at this so called Gastropub this last monday , overall , the experience was ok , the ambiance , the food , the service and the prices were ok , although , few nice surprises were hidden on the food .
I shared 3 apettizers, a salad and entree with a companion , and to be honest , I was surprised by the portions , for happy hours specials , these are hefty , well supplied plates of food !
One of the first plates to arrive were the chorizo tacos , store bought corn shell tacos stuffed with just right seasoned chorizo , chopped bell peppers and goat cheese , I was dissapointed by the taco shells , I guess not everyone takes mexican food seriously as myself , but to be honest , the chorizo was perfectly enjoyable , the bell peppers were nicely sauteed and the goat cheese created a nice contrast .
Next , my companion enjoyed a "small house salad" wich is nothing but small , its a generous salad with a tasty tomato vinagrette and crowded with delicious and crispy caramelized walnuts(CW) , I love those and can enjoy about anything with CW and they hit the right spot when they overflow that house salad with those little pieces of heaven .
Moving forward, we shared the sliders , juicy shredded pork braised with strong ale and topped with the house slaw , to be honest , I felt they were a bit blant ... I had them before during TASTE OF TREMONT where they had a tent , back then these little piggies were one of my highlights on that parade of pompous food alternatives with a street flirt , don't get me wrong , they were enjoyable this time , but not as memorable as they were the first time .
Next I had the Asian Burger , nicely spiced with a soy reduction , a thick well cooked beefy patty with a juicy pink center and a grilled crust on the outside , soft and enjoyable bun and the always tasty house slaw , wich is made with braised red cabbage and red onion, and those fries ... those tasty fries who practically dominated the plate , I tell you this , I couldn't finish with them , and I wanted so bad , I left about a quarter of those fries on my plate , I couldnt eat more ! nicely crisp and moist , seasoned with salt and pepper , just simple , bar food paradise .
And at the end , I had those Calamari , now , the calamari I make at work is plain and simple , these little tiny squids were heaven , fluffy and tasty , topped with a thai sauce and "fiery cherry peppers", they were inded fiery ! overall , I enjoyed this dish the most , it was just the perfect dish .
The service was on time but vaguely indifferent , well , after all we were at a bar , with only one server in staff , so I can understand it . BTW, I totally loved that our bartender decided to go for a Amy Winehouse vibe .
Like I said , the place was ok , so don't go with expectations, but be ready to have few surprises hidden in your food , I might add ... nice surprises !

No comments: